Rgbstock forum

forum > Technical questions > New site layout

New site layout

1. ColinBrough28 February 2017, 23:13 GMT +01:00

Generally liking the new site layout. But seeing "unresponsive script" errors when displaying my gallery:

Script: https://ajax.googleapis.com/aj…bs/jquery/1.12.4/jquery.min.js:3

Browser is Firefox 51.0.1 on XUbuntu; I've told it to ignore the error and after a delay the page displays, apparently OK - but slow. 5 seconds or so...

2. jazza28 February 2017, 23:50 GMT +01:00

Ok, thank you I will look into this problem tomorrow.

3. Ayla871 March 2017, 6:44 GMT +01:00

I tried, but I couldn't find any bugs myself.

Great work, Jay, the new layout looks fresh and lets the photos stand out and shine in their own beauty.
--Michael

4. xymonau1 March 2017, 9:22 GMT +01:00

A refreshing change, indeed. Keep your eyes open for any bugs.

5. ChIandra4U1 March 2017, 21:17 GMT +01:00

Looks very clean and fresh

6. Ayla872 March 2017, 6:14 GMT +01:00

BTW, I noticed today that the headline "Today's likes" is not translated into the different languages.

http://www.rgbstock.com/mostlikedtoday/

In German "Likes von heute" would be fine.
--Michael

7. Ayla874 March 2017, 9:22 GMT +01:00

The Forum feed
http://www.rgbstock.com/rss/forum
seems to be out of order. It shows no feeds anymore for several days noe (tried with FF browser)
--Michael

8. gesinek5 March 2017, 19:02 GMT +01:00

As I mentioned on FB it is really slow but nice to see.

But beeing very slow AND making a lot of traffic on a PC is not good. And we have a really fast connection und we can trace the client utilisation is VERY high because of the bigger pictures I think

9. Ayla876 March 2017, 6:19 GMT +01:00

We have a slow connection at home, so I have started to use ctrl+- or strg+- to reduce the photo size. This way the gallery pages load much faster. Luckily it is responsive design so we can decrease or increase the size as much as we want.
--Michael

10. xymonau6 March 2017, 7:55 GMT +01:00

That's helpful, Michael. I'm sure Jay is looking into the slow loading times, and hopefully this can be overcome. In the meantime I'll try your suggestion.

11. ColinBrough6 March 2017, 15:36 GMT +01:00

My suspicion is that the speed issue is with the rendering, not with the downloading (though that's an educated guess, rather than a definite!). CPU load spikes while the page is being rendered, but network load doesn't look like it is much affected... And page performance is basically the same when I'm downloading nothing else and when my link is saturated downloading the latest Linux distro! (And I have a pretty fast link.) My wonder is whether its using a poorly performing JavaScript library script (hence the original message in this thread), or perhaps the coding of RGBstock is somehow problematic in how it uses the JavaScript libraries?

12. ColinBrough6 March 2017, 18:52 GMT +01:00

Trying to put some numbers to what is going on:

refreshing 'http://www.rgbstock.com/recent' in Firefox on XUbuntu 16.04.02 on a 2010 Dell desktop (AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM), something like 17s, and 100% CPU.

Loading the same page (and all requisite files - ie all the thumbnail images) using 'wget -p -q ...' from the command line (ie no rendering), 11s. This downloads 203 files (9.8MB total). And CPU load stays at essentially zero.

I have a 70Mb/s cable internet connection.

13. jazza9 March 2017, 11:59 GMT +01:00

Thank you all for this information. I really need to do something about this.
I try to do a lazy loading of the images. Only load the image when the user has scrolled to the position where the image should be. That is one of the possible problems. Besides of that we need to work more with CDN's (content delivery networks).

14. jazza9 March 2017, 19:40 GMT +01:00

We reduced the number of photos per page now and I am working on a better 'lazy' image loading method. Also I need to check if the Photo's are on the CDN's we have.

15. Newpie9 March 2017, 20:51 GMT +01:00

I seem unable to download any images on the new layout. I used to double click on the photo and it would open up with the download option but tonight I have done this and the site isn't responding. I can try again tomorrow?

16. xymonau10 March 2017, 5:36 GMT +01:00

Are you definitely logged in? I click once on the large thumbnail and it opens. I know Jay was working on the site. If you try again and it works, let us know, but I'll make sure Jay sees your post.

Please sign in or sign up if you want to participate in the forum discussions.

x
name
country
photos
downloads
camera